Friday, July 17, 2009

GRANDPA VERB AND ME

Me, (Sheena Sharp) and my Grandpa Verb Sharp. This is taken at Yettem, California. We had us a Truck Patch there. My Grandma Nancy had to do most of the work. She would chop cotton all day and then come home and tend that garden because Grandpa was crippled and could not do it. She would bag up corn and okra and tomatoes and such and when cars stopped, it was my job to gather it up for them. If we ran out of something I had to go pick it. Hard to believe how much was expected of a three year old then compared to NOW but I loved it and I thought I was so important. Grandpa said I was his right hand man. There was an irrigation ditch across the road and I wanted to go over there so badly and catch pollywogs but Grandpa would never let me near it because he said he could not save me if I tumbled in. He took me fishing with him though and we caught crawdads by the bucketful and Grandpa cooked them for us when she got home.

1 comment:

  1. What a great picture Sheena...love this!

    Bren

    ReplyDelete