Friday, July 17, 2009

SHARP and POOLE cousins

Taken in the Fall of 1957 at the Sharp Place in Yettem, California. From the left: my brother, Ronny Sharp, Mike Poole, Me in the back and my hand is on my brother Bobby's head, my brother Dane next to Bobby...the tall boy in the front is Bill Hays, son of Mark and Mirl Hays. Mirl was a daughter of Grandpa Fuzzy and Grandma Vernie (my Grandpa Sharp's sister) and they they lived right here. I do not know the two little boys to the right of Bill. Crazy...I should know them. The last boy is Jimmy Poole, brother to Mike. Mike and Jimmy were sons of Burl and Eva Mae and Grandsons of Ocie and Alma Poole. The hills in the background are the foothills leading up to Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. The area behind us and little to the South was known to us as MUD GAP. The Yokut Indians had lived there before us and at that time you could find arrowheads and spears everywhere.

3 comments:

  1. The "TERM" MUDGAP does not appear on any maps but growing up around that area in Central California, EVERYONE knew it! The Yokut Indians inhabited the entire area in the 1800's. To drive from Yettem to Elderwood, you had to pass between two hills where the road was simply carved between the hills. As soon as you come out on the East Side you see Elderwood. Vas and Lacy Sharp raised their family in Elderwood. If you continue on to the South you come to Woodlake. Many of the Sharp and Poole family are buried in the Woodlake Cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How was O. Gail Poole related to us? Was he a descendant of Tyford?
    I was looking at some of his art and we were curious isf he was my dad's cousin (Pat Handy).

    ReplyDelete