Saturday, July 18, 2009

Bertha Poole Handy

Bertha, Phyliss (with doll), Gladys, (Annie's mother) Alma, Mollie, Judy, (Orville's sister), and Floy (Woodie's 2nd wife) This picture comes from Annie Ramsey. Bertha was the first of Tyford and Mollie's children to be born in Oklahoma. The others were all born before statehood in Indian Territory. Orville shared with me that Bertha was good solid woman. He said that his mother was good friends with her before they all moved to California. Bertha married Emmett Handy. He was 17 years older than her. Annie shared with me that her Grandma lived with Bertha until she passed at age 94 and they lived in Fresno where they are both buried. She said she was a sweet lady but tough. Annie adored her and stayed in touch with her until she passed away. She remembers that she had a son who had a couple of kids, one of which had polio. I believe that her son was Emet Earl Handy, born June 16, 1929 and died May 12, 1977. He had a son named Patrick Brian and a daughter Tami. I am presently trying to locate and communicate with Brian Handy. I believe he is in California and a pastor????

1 comment:

  1. I am Patrick Brian Handy, Emit Earl (aka Junior and Pat)Handy's second son. He had four kids. Darrell the oldest (had polio), Patrick Brian (me), Tami, and Kevin. My grandma was sweet, tough, smart and funny. We knew great-grandma Mollie fairly well. Aunt Marie (Clarence wife), made killer carrot cake. Uncle Woody was quite the craftsman and Uncle Chester Poole was a kick. Grandpa Emmett Earl and his son my father had great affection for one another. They were both avid S.F. Giants fans and incredible fishermen. Grandma Bertha was also a strong Christian, she wept over us and prayed for us regularly. When you have a grandmother and your mother praying for you, you don't stand a chance. God answered their prayers when I was twenty and in college. I am now a pastor and home inspector. I have always had a love in my heart for the Poole side of the family. I have done a great deal of research on the Pool side as well.

    ReplyDelete