Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Eldon, Woodrow, Gene Poole


Eldon and Eugene (Gene) were both sons of Ches and Ada Poole and both died tragically. Eldon had just come home from WWII and was killed in a plane crash. If someone knows more detail, please share. I think it was a small plane and he was flying it. Gene (funny come to think of it, his name was GENE POOL, he was riding his motorcycle and was hit head on not very far from his parents home. I was at Oss and Wanda's Sharp's home in Visalia California and Gene's wife was there waiting for him. We were having BBQ and making home made icecream when the call came that he had been killed. He was on his way to us. He was very handsome I recall. I remember him being good buddies with my Uncle Verbie Sharp also...they played poker together. I remember he always had a cigar in his mouth. He had two sons with his wife Nadine. They should still be around Visalia, California. In the center is Orville Gail Pool's dad, Woody.

3 comments:

  1. Ricky Eldon SeawrightMay 22, 2012 at 10:11 PM

    Eldon and Eugene are my uncles. Uncle Eldon came home from the Navy after the war and was taking flying instructions and the plane crashed. I understood that Uncle Gene was in a car when the wreck occurred but i had already moved to Ark at the time. Uncle Eugenes two son are Jimmy Eugene and Steven both are still around Visalia as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad, in 1970 bought a little white Volvo he liked because it reminded him of a 40 Ford sedan. He had been at Grandpa and Grandma's house in Elderwood installing a new kitchen sink and headed home about dinner time. A drunk driver that had left Red bank's bar was headed back to his house up at Auckland, just a little above Elderwood crossed over into the left-hand Lane and him and Dad met head-on right on that first curve. Mom had called and and they said he had already left about an hour earlier so he should be home by then.She ask me to stay home to answer the phone in case someone called.She drove up to Bakers corner and found the accident site and Dad's car. Jim passed away in 2012. I sold my home in Visalia, moved out to Taurusa and refurbished mom's old house that she built in 1959. Steve B. Poole

      Delete
  2. My mother, Mirl Hays and I (about 4 or 5 years old) rode to Calif with Floyd Seawrightabout the time of Eldon' s death. His sister Sis Seawright had gone earlier to be there. Uncle Bawly said that Eldon had flown over the house on Ave 384 and shouted down at him shortly beffore the crash. He is buried in Woodlake. Uncle Bawly drove us back to Oklahoma in a Modle A Ford when we went home. It took a lot of days .
    Jerry Hays

    ReplyDelete