Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Often times I notice that people will wait and wait before posting their work. We are always attempting to "GET IT RIGHT" first. It is my intention to build this AS I GO. It will have mistakes in it for sure and hopefully when you come across something that you KNOW to be an error, you will let me know so we can get it RIGHT. I will be posting information as I locate it and making corrections as needed along the way. I WELCOME your input.

I have a copy of my Great Grandparents Marriage License. I ordered it through LaFlore County, Oklahoma in 2008. Rather than scan it here I will tell you what it states:
Carroll SHARP aged 21 and Vernie Poole, aged 18 both of Kully Chaha in the Indian Territory were married on 9 March 1899. This marked the beginning of the Poole/Sharp connection in my family.
The following year marked the turn of the century and this young couple appear in the 1900 Federal Census in the Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory, Township 8, North Range 27 East on 20 June 1900. He states that he is 21 and she states that she is 20. Funny, she was 18 just last Spring when they married. They have no children yet. My Grandpa will be born in March of 1901 and he was their oldest child. She could actually be pregnant with him at this time and not even be aware of it yet.

1 comment:

  1. You are right to post as you go - otherwise I might not ever have made it to the day when you got around to putting this all together - outstanding choice Sheena!

    Also the marriage licsence and possibly pregnant matter are great bits of family history.

    ReplyDelete